Global Month of Service – April 2014
Harvard alumni around the world are once again giving back to their local communities through the Harvard Alumni Association’s Global Month of Service. In 2013, more than 1,000 alumni in 100 cities participated in the initiative, spearheaded by the HAA’s Public Service Task Force. This April, alumni from New York to New Delhi will again spend the month mentoring, tutoring, hosting, gardening, cleaning, cooking, and sharing their expertise—just a few of the ways in which Harvard serves.
Harvard and the HAAE are once again calling on you to support this important worldwide initiative! Indeed, the Global Month of Service is one of the HAAE's most important service opportunities of the year.
We encourage you to collaborate with your local or regional Harvard Club in addition to HAAE members and/or any other Shared Interest Group(s) to:
- Organize and register a service opportunity in your area
- Invite others in your area to join you
- Participate in other area volunteer activities
- Document your GMoS event(s) and share with HAAE & HAA
Past Activities have included:
- Hosting an information session at a local high school
- Cleaning a riverbank or public area
- Helping to serve food at a local shelter
- Providing pro bono professional services
- Sorting donations for Goodwill
Some themes to consider this year are:
- Environmental advocacy
- Food & water security
- Music & arts outreach
- Youth & mentorship events
Both HAAE and HAA plan to featuring these stories on our websites and in our newsletters, so please document and share your stories with us!